5 Minutes Out of Your Day Could Help Save A Life!
National Check-Your-Pool-Gate Month
Recent research has revealed 57% of pool owners are not checking the safety of their pool gate and fence adequately – 42% of pool owners checked their gate only once a year, 11% every few years and 4% had never checked it*.
With backyard pools responsible for over a third of drownings in the under 5s**, it’s crucial that pool owners take the time to regularly check the safety of their pool areas.
Check-Your-Pool-Gate Month starts on December 1 and as a long-term partner of D&D Technologies, the makers of the Aussie made MagnaLatch® pool gate latch, Kids Alive is calling on all pool owners to be more diligent and conduct a safety check today.
It only takes 5 minutes to check that your pool gate complies. Visit www.checkyourpoolgate.com.au and download the Perfect Pool Party guide. This booklet provides you with all the safety knowhow for your pool fence and gate and tips on how to make your summer pool celebrations safe. It also contains some great ideas for planning the perfect summer pool party.
Check-Your-Pool-Gate Month is all part of a concerted effort to reduce pool drowning in the most vulnerable under-fives by creating safer backyard swimming pools and making it harder for children to gain access to the pool.
Tragically, 25 little ones lost their lives last year to drowning – a 108% increase on the previous year and we believe more can be done to prevent these statistics and get closer to our goal of zero drownings.
D&D Technologies’ safety checklist for pool gates can be found at www.checkyourpoolgate.com.au
• Gate should open outwards, away from the pool
• Latch release knob should be at least 1500mm above ground level
• Gate must be self-closing and self-latching
• Gate hinges should be rust-free and bind-free
• Gate should carry reliable, tension-adjustable hinges
• Latch must be adjustable for height and width.
• Hinges must be adjustable for closing tension.
• Latch cannot be key locked in the “open” position
• Latch cannot be disengaged using implements
• Gate latch cannot be shaken or jolted open
• Gate will shut securely from any open angle or force
• Gate complies with all Australian Standards for pool safety
*Survey of 1,087 Australian pool owners conducted by Pure Profile for D&D Technologies, November 2021.
** Royal Life Saving Society – Australia (2021) Royal Life Saving National Drowning Report 2021